Cinco de Mayo is not the Mexican day of Independence, contrary to popular belief. That particular day actually resides on Sept. 16. On May 5, 1862 a Mexican army of 4,000 faced 6,000 French soldiers at the Battle of Puebla. The battle ended in victory for the Mexican army after four hours. Since then, Cinco de Mayo has become a day for the celebration of Mexican culture and heritage, along with Sept. 16.
As of 2006 there are 28.3 million U.S. residents of Mexican origin, which is 9% of the nation’s total population. From that number there are 630,000 Mexican-American U.S. military veterans and 1.2 million 25 or older with a bachelor’s degree or higher. Approximatly 350,000 have a graduate degree.
ON A LOCAL UNIVERSITY LEVEL
MU- As of Fall 2006 there are 498 students on MU‘s campus who have listed themselves as Hispanic. Undergratuates make up the largest portion at 382 and there are 206 undergraduates and graduates registered in the College of Arts and Science
Columbia College– Based on the numbers given which were taken from their Fall 2007 Census, Columbia has a total of 747 Hispanic students. Like MU, Columbia’s undergraduates make up the largest portion at 735. This includes their day program and adult higher education division.
Stephens College– At Stephens there are 24 students currently enrolled who identify themselves as Hispanic. This makes up 2.3% of the university’s student body.
MEXICAN RESTAURANTS IN COLUMBIA
For anyone who would like to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with something other than Taco Bell, this is a small part of what Columbia has to offer.
- El Jimador Mexican Restaurant, 3200 Penn Terrace. Open 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. today and 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday
- El Maguey, 301 E. Nifong Blvd or 3101 E. Broadway. Open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Monday
- El Rancho, 1014 E. Broadway. Open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m today and 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Monday
- La Tolteca, 1112 E. Stadium Blvd. Open Monday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, 3306 W. Broadway. Open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday
- Taquiera El Rodeo, 805 E. Nifong. Open 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. today and Monday
- Tequila Mexican Restaurant and Bar, 3605 S. Providence. Open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. today and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday
Related blog post with more general enrollment information: Enrollment Throughout the Years